The Claretian Missionaries Archives is the official repository of all materials which pertain to the origin, history, development, and mission of the Sons of the Immaculate Heart of Mary of the United States and Canada. The goal of the Archives is to centralize, organize, preserve, protect, and make available these records to members of the province and scholars. The Archives serves as the repository of non-current records. The role of the archivists is to intellectually control, make accessible, and ensure the integrity of the records deposited in the repository.
The Archives is part of the Chicago Archive Collaborative formed in 2009 to provide archives a cooperative area to manage their collections. The Cenacle Sisters Archives of North America joined the Claretians in forming the collaborative. In 2014, the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago Archives became the third partner in the joint archives. Although each collection is managed and housed separately, the staff share a processing area and reading room.
The USA-Canada Province Archives focuses on six major areas:
- Life, work, and legacy of Saint Anthony Mary Claret and General Government documents and publications.
- Claretian Missionaries USA-Canada Province, history, governance, personnel, and ministry records.
- Claretian Publications archives including digital and analog materials.
- The Saint Jude devotion initiated in the United States by the Claretian Missionaries in February 1929 and the Saint Jude League responsible for promoting the “Saint of Hopeless Cases.”
- Radio Claret America, established in 2014 as internet radio station materials.
- Claretian initiated community organizations and projects. These are housed as separate collections.
The Archives utilizes two different content management programs, Access to Memory (AtoM) for the manuscript collection and CONTENTdm for selected digital materials. These collections may be queried according to name, place, keyword, or subject. Both employ the Library of Congress Subject Headings for faceted searches.
The Claretian Missionaries Archives is open to the public by appointment only. Researchers and interested individuals may contact us to discuss their project. Please e-mail us at email@example.com.
Malachy R. McCarthy became Province Archivist in 2003. He holds Masters Degrees from the University of Arizona and Simmons College. In 2002, he graduated with a PhD in United States history from Loyola University Chicago. Malachy is active professionally in the archives field and was awarded the Sister M. Claude Lane, O.P. Memorial Award by the Society of American Archivists in 2011. Currently he is involved in the formation of Archival Resources for Catholic Collections (ARCC) whose goal is to assist Canadian and United States Catholic religious archives in preserving and making archival collections accessible to the larger public.
Doris Cardenas is the Associate Archivist and joined the Claretian Missionaries Archives in 2015. She has an M.L.I.S. from Dominican University with a specialization in Archives and Cultural Heritage Resources and Services. She is a member of various archival organizations such as the Society of American Archivists, Chicago Area Archivists, and the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions. Presently, she is a Programming Co-Chair for the Chicago Area Archivists and serves on the Dominican University’s Alumni Advisory Council.
The Claretian Missionaries Archives USA-Canada is located at 205 West Monroe Street at the corner of Wells Street. It is conveniently situated by public transportation from the CTA bus and subway lines. It is also within walking distance of all four Metra rail stations. Visitors may contact the Regional Transportation Authority at www.rtachicago.com to navigate their trip.
The Claretian/St. Jude building is owned by the Claretian Missionaries. Built in 1898, the edifice is historically significant as it was known as the Williams Building. Designed by Holabird & Roche architects, it was constructed as part of the wholesale warehouse district. Today, besides the Claretian-related offices, the building affords many non-profit organizations a central location to conduct business.